Geez oh, peats! The past few weeks have FLOWN. I’ve blinked, and they have disappeared. Murray, myself and the crew are now in full swing swimming with whale sharks and all the other critters the Ningaloo Reef has on offer lately, even seeing orcas! The Ningaloo Reef is turning it on lately, and it’s been awesome hearing the crew stories each day.
This week’s blog is about Doug, our deckhand for the 2017 whale shark season. Doug is the quietest guy on our little team. Getting to know him takes patience, and you must be observant and a good listener – either that or I’m scary boss lady ;0). I’ve taken some time to watch and learn, and I’m glad I have.
Doug worked with Murray the most before the tours starting this season. He was a great help getting things in order. He’s got one speed that goes on for aeons. No matter what is thrown at him, he just ticks over. If he doesn’t know how to do something, he tries to figure it and then asks for help when he needs it. It’s nice knowing that he has the stick-to-it-iveness and I’ve seen for myself how his nature makes the guests feel right at home. They can count on him as we do.
What I automatically do whenever I meet someone is learn what I could bottle to sell…Seeing the potential is a talent I have and imagining the contents of Doug’s bottle I can say this: he’s the definition of a team player – he makes everyone else better around him, even highlights them. It’s lovely to be around someone like that, and I’m sure glad he’s part of our team.
Doug has been in Exmouth for a while now and when I asked him what travellers should know about the area he had this to say –
1. Exmouth and the Ningaloo Reef has got range. There is the Exmouth gulf, west side, walks and snorkels to do, caving and much more.
2. He suggested getting to know the gulf a bit more because life starts there. Small mud crabs, tiny rays, and small reef sharks are all found there. Find someone with a boat!
Check out the Our Tours on our website – you’ll find all the tours you can book there.
Please feel free to leave a comment or a question. Check in and cheer us on at firstname.lastname@example.org and don’t forget to share this post if it connects with you.
Murray, Sonia & Live Ningaloo Crew!
“a small and particularly interesting item of gossip or information.”
Doug and I chatted in our backyard just before our season started for this interview and it’s there that I learned some interesting facts –
1. He’s an experienced sailor – of sailboats. His father has even built a few! He’s always loved boats and being on the water.
2. He likes to garden, explaining to me how he enriches the soil with fish bits. He had chili’s in pots last year that are growing nicely where he’s at now.
3. He enjoys a bit of cooking and preserving when he has the time. There is a recipe book that may make it’s way into my hot little hands that he recommended called ‘The Blue Ducks’ I can’t wait to check it out!
Dougs Goal Card
1. Get his Master 5’s
2. Cross an ocean
3. Own his own sailing yacht, somewhere in the 40’ range